Tuesday, November 29, 2011

feed Response


                I absolutely loved feed. I mean to say I adored reading it, and the sheer joy I experienced devouring this book tells me I will definitely teach this book in the no-too-distant future somewhere. Heck, I could see using this text with college students and adults as well as its intended audience of adolescents.  It really is a book worthy of critical examination for a variety of reasons.
                First, the language use in feed is absolutely brilliant. It was at the same time both, like, hauntingly familiar and meg different. It was so totally fresh, units. But seriously, I love playing with language, and it is clear that M.T. Anderson does too. Part of my love for this book derives from the deft way M.T. created his didactic exploration of language. This book practically begs to be examined more closely and compared to our contemporary world.
                Second, the language use in feed is easily identified and therefore ripe for comparing and contrasting and explicating and deconstructing. Oh boy, would I have some fun unpacking this text in a classroom setting. The potential discussions that could develop could be illuminating, especially centered around how we use language in a culture, how this culture is transmitted from person to person, and then ultimately, how this "language-culture," or "languature(?)" comes alive and becomes its own entity.
                Third,  the language in the text reveals a meta-commentary from the author too, I think, and I would enjoy exploring students' impressions of what M.T. Anderson is actually saying with this science fiction. Does he celebrate his characters' language? Or does he mock them? Both? Either way: love.

No comments:

Post a Comment