Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My name is...Response


               Well, that was a painful and funny read. I mean, I hope that's not awful of me, but I am left feeling pain at the stories of refugee suffering and sensing the humor in the concepts of "it's all about the documents" and "we won the lottery." I guess it's a painful and somewhat shameful humor. America is cool and lame all at the same time, no?
                It is always interesting to me to read what children write. I am at the same time touched by their simple descriptions of complex issues and horrified at how they can seemingly breeze past the horrors of war in a few simple sentences of distanced verbiage and somewhat emotionless recollections. Reading these essays brought that point home again.
                I enjoyed the student art included in this publication. What can I say? It speaks to me. It's nice to see the rough representations as opposed to the refined gloss of mass marketing.
                I was reminded of the many tutees I worked with at Saint Paul College, and in my own private tutoring adventures, and the stories they only hinted at. I understand more clearly now why they hinted and did not elaborate. I also remember the times those folks did choose to tell me their stories, and how difficult that must have been for them. I was honored they chose to share with me then. I still am now.
                In the end, these essays remind me we are more alike as people than we are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment